2020 Rosé

Product Image
2020 Rosé
2020 Rosé

Best Rosé, 2021 Loudoun County Wine Awards

87 Points, Wine Advocate

Tasting notes


A blend of six Boxwood varieties, all estate grown.  Sauvignon Blanc added to balance wine and increase aromas.  Each variety bled separately and cool fermented with tailored yeasts.  Crisp acidity, soft tannins, and full-bodied, with refreshing finish.

* 100% Estate Grown Fruit from the Middleburg Virginia AVA

Production notes


Here at Boxwood, when the fruit for red wines is harvested and put into the fermenters, skins and all, after 24-48 hours we will often drain about 20% of the juice from the fermenter.  This does two things for us: it concentrates the remaining ~80% of the juice for reds with 100% of the skins where color, flavor and aromatic components are extracted into the young wine in the fermentation process.  This approach has a name: saignée, or “bleeding” of some juice from the fermenter.  The other part of this is that it provides a lightly colored juice to produce  the rosé.  It is that juice which provides the base of this wine.  When it’s time to develop the blend from these lots, we also work with Sauvignon Blanc to see if it helps balance the wine and bring some aromatics to the blend.  So for the 2020 rosé we have added 18% Sauvignon Blanc.

2020 was another good growing season providing a large and high quality crop. It lingered a little behind 2019 time-wise as we began the reds harvest on September 19th, 9 days later than the first pick of 2019.

Other notes

Pairing with Food

Salmon of any kind is a traditional pairing, but there are so many additional options! Think outside the summertime box and include it on holiday tables with turkey or ham, beside your cheese tortellini and pesto sauce, or with margarita pizza!

Past Pairings from Boxwood Special Events include:

  • Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese Puffs
  • Cantaloupe & Prosciutto
  • Smoked Salmon & Cucumber Bites
Download Wine Notes
Varietal Composition35% Cabernet Franc, 30% Merlot, 18% Sauvignon Blanc, 11% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec // 100% Estate Grown Fruit
AppellationMiddleburg AVA
VineyardBoxwood Estate
Harvest Date09/19/2020
Wine StyleRosé
Volume750 ml
Cases Produced925
Country of OriginUNITED STATES
State of OriginVirginia


Best Rosé, 2021 Loudoun County Wine Awards



87 Points, Wine Advocate

"Reasonably solid, appealingly fresh and very dry on the Finish, this works well in a tough year. This is a good choice for a food pairing, substantial and balanced...Some touches of herbs around the edges add some complexity to this red wine substitute...Overall, this should be a popular choice. It may hold better, but I'd drink this now and over the next year at most for best results."



Click on the links below to get information about our
other vintages.
2021 2020 2019
Add to Cart
Price $23.00 / per bottle
Add to Cart
Subtotal: $0.00
Shopping Summary

There are currently
no items in your cart.

Shop Now


Buy 12 bottles and receive a 10% case discount.

Loading... Modal Background

Please wait while we process your order...